Sunday, February 10, 2008

Emily Dickinson "I Never Lost as Much but Twice"

In one of Emily Dickinson’s poems, she states, “I never lost as much but twice”. After reading the quite short, but very emotional poem, I could almost feel Dickinson’s despair. The fact that she says the word “twice” referencing her losses, leads me to believe that she lost people very close to her, twice. Dickinson mentions angels who descended twice, which to me translates as the angels of death which came to take away those who were close to her.
The most significant lines of the poem which bring me to the interpretation of these people, which Dickinson lost, being important to her, state, “Twice have I stood a beggar/ Before the door of God!” In these lines Dickinson truly puts her emotions and feelings on paper as she tells the reader about an inner battle she underwent twice, as she prayed to God and tried to relinquish her sadness. Here, Dickinson speaks of religion in a concealed, underlying way as she mentions the presence of God in her life.
I thought it was interesting that the words “Banker” and “Father” are separated by a hyphen instead of an exclamation point like the word “Burglar” is in the same line, in stanza 2. As I read the stanza over again, I read it as if “Banker” and “Father” was the same person. Someone Dickinson knew went from a banker to a father, or a reverend of some kind, which again leads me to believe that the poem is written about two people; a burglar, and a reverend, which in turn makes perfect sense since Dickinson speaks about losing something, and/or someone, twice.
Overall, I find this poem to be a beautifully written ballad of despair, which may be an ironic statement considering the poem’s meaning.

1 comment:

Laura Nicosia said...

Ohh. I'd like to hear more about your "Banker" "Father" interpretation...How does the use of a hyphen feel different from the use of an exclamation point?

I also find your categorization of this poem as a "ballad of despair" as especially descriptive and effective. Nicely done.

-LN